I was introduced as a 'veteran gamer' (thanks Grazer!), but the reality is that apart from a dabble in my teens I've only recently re-introduced myself to miniature wargaming. It was around 5 years ago after losing another game of Risk that I declared: the only reason I lost is that there is no tactics involved, and it's mostly a case of random dice rolling and castling up until strong enough to attack en force. The irony I'm sure is obvious here...
So, the day after, I got my arse down to Warhammer World and walked out with a copy of 5th Edition and the starter set. Initially playing at home with my bro, I rapidly built up my armies and scenery collection. Around a year after getting back into it I contacted 1st Company Veterans...and here I am now.
I would describe myself as a fluff player rather than hardcore competitive. I only play armies that I feel represent the background, without the feeling I'm playing some sort of narrative story I just don't enjoy the game. However, that doesn't mean I don't play to win every time! I have a preference for fast, hard-hitting armies and am not afraid of taking risks.
So, what armies do I play?
I've sold off 2 armies:
- A Khorne CSM force built around terminators in a Land Raider and a ton of berzerkers.
- An IG force of ratlings, ogryns (beautiful models), a couple of Leman Russes and a healthy block of gun-line infantry including lots of HWs.
And I have remaining:
- A Evil Sunz Speed Freaks army - lots of choppa boys in trukks and a 20 man (ork?) unit of Stormboyz with Zaggstruk. I also have Weirdboys, a couple of SAGs (love me some SAGs). I've also got a BW, a load of killa kanz and a Deff Dread. Got some warbikes (no, not the crazy over-powered 5th Edition nobz). Oh, and a Stompa! It's an eclectic mix of stuff that is great fun to play, and despite it being a hybrid mix works pretty well for me. I also like how it's painted, very gritty but colourful and cohesive.
- Alaitoc/Beil Tan Eldar. It started as mainly aspect warriors, but I added rangers and Wraithlords later. I got tired of the green & white and spent a fun couple of months stripping EVERYTHING back to the plastic or metal and repainting it. Again, I love the look of it and is great fun to play, if very hard to win nowadays (new codex please).
- Daemons. I'm going to talk about this next:
I'm also glad to see the Tzeentch stuff toned down again. An army that is a challenge is fun to play. I also like that I don't have the crazy 50/50 daemonic assault split, although I can still reserve my whole army if I choose to do so. I'm going to collect another god next as I prefer mono-god armies. I'm leaning towards Slaanesh, but not in the standard colours - I'm thinking something more bright pink/deep purple with possibly human coloured skin.
Right, I think that's enough for now. I'm going to post again soon with my army list and hopefully some feedback on how it plays. I have a game with Grazer on Sunday so I'm hoping to have a photo or two to post - everybody loves to see Squats valiantly fighting despite being (nearly) extinct!
One last thing - I've just finished my 9 plastic flamers tonight and ready to play them painted. Am I crazy to field them?