Wednesday 19 May 2010

The Hunter or the Hunted

Andy, Graham and myself are going to try this mission tomorrow so we each have to come up with a 1500 point list and a 1000 point list and then we'll dice off to see who is the hunter and who is the hunted.

The Hunted - 1500 Points

I thought about just putting my HQ on a bike or a Thunderwolf and just try to get him off the board in three turns. This lead to me adding the High Gravity special rule. Still, a bike or cavalry would still be a good way to make your escape. However, I've never had any luck with bikes and I don't have any Thunderwolves. So, we definitely need a vehicle of some kind. Ideally, we also need a HQ who is useful in combat and a nice large squad to stop him being captured. So let's try:

Wolf Priest

15 Blood Claws, 2 Flamers, Power Fist

Land Raider Crusader, Multimelta, Extra Armour

That's 625 points spent! However, it'll be tough to stop. Hopefully. I'll keep it moving 12" a turn and try and pick a good turn to pop smoke.

So, now we need some support. The purpose of the rest of the list will to act as distractions and speed bumps while my Land Raider zooms off the board. I'll also need some other vehicles just in case the Raider gets popped so that my Wolf Priest can still catch a ride.

5 Grey Hunters, Razorback

5 Grey Hunters, Razorback, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon

5 Grey Hunters, Razorback, Twin-Linked Lascannon

So these guys have lost their special weapons from my normal list. They should be able to provide cover for the Land Raider and they have the ability to move and shoot so they're in.

Predator, Lascannon Sponsons

This is to threaten anything that may threaten the Land Raider.

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Again these are to attack any tanks that can damage my Land Raider and also to block charges just in case the Wolf Priest ends up on foot.

That leaves me with 200 points left to spend and I'm not really sure what else to take, so let's go with

Dreadnought, Assault Cannon

Predator, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Storm Bolter

Some mobile dakka and a rescue unit in case my Wolf Priest manages to get himself captured.

The Hunter - 1000 Points

Hmm, less points to play with this time but it's essentially 2 against 1 until we get the enemy HQ out of his transport. This time we'll need some mobile anti-tank and a couple of units that are good in combat so that we can capture the HQ and keep him. A Wolf Priest on a bike with some Swift Claws would be perfect but I don't have said Wolf Priest. However, I do have a Rune Priest on a bike and while he's not been very good in past games, he must be due a good game sometime soon. Right?

Rune Priest, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane, Bike, Chooser of the Slain

4 Swift Claws, Power Weapon, Heavy Bolter Attack Bike

I thought about giving the Rune Priest Jaws of the World Wolf but reasoned that Murderous Hurricane would be better for slowing down that HQ.

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Meltaguns, Power Weapon, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Flamers, Power Weapon, Rhino

Wot no Razorback spam? Well, I figure that I'll need the 10 man squads to ensure I win combats and make the capture. Having said that;

5 Grey Hunters, Razorback, Twin-Linked Lascannon

I figure thatI'll need to stop a vehicle and there's nothing better at extreme range than the good old Lascannon. However, we'd better take a bit more anti-tank too

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder, Multimleta, Heavy Flamer

That only leave me with 15 points left to spend and as cheap as Predators are, they're not quite that cheap. So, let's give the Rune Priest Melta Bombs to give him a bit more oompf and let's give the Rhino with the Flamer squad in it a Hunter Killer Missile.

So, there we go, two lists. I'm happy with the first one but I'm not totally convinced by the bikers in the second but that's just because I'm still not that good at running bikers. However, I think that most of my problems stem from running a squad that is a couple of Swift Claws too small but I think that this one (6 models, 8 wounds) should be a good size for this size game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails