Saturday 31 July 2010

I have a little list

(with apologies to The Mikido)

I managed to get my ticket for Open War 14 on Thursday so it's time to end all the speculation and finally decide on my list. Now I had been planning it in a bit of a vacuum. However, since the Rules Pack is now out, I need to pick a list that has a chance of winning those specific missions. Hmm, 3 Objective style missions. So, we're going to need plenty of troops. We have to get them into deployment zones so they're going to have to be mobile and they're going to have to be killy. Hmm, that almost perfectly describes my Razorwolves. Plus, with the no Special Characters rule, it almost seems like this tournament has been made for my list. This will probably get a bit long and rambling so apologies in advance...

HQ

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

So, the first thing you'll notice is just the one Priest. I think that 1750 might be a little too tight on points to squeeze in a second one but if playtesting doesn't go well I might switch it round. It seems that most Razorwolf players online take Stormcaller to give all the Razorbacks a 5+ save but I still prefer to be able to shoot Living Lightning out of the top hatch of a Rhino. Murderous Hurricane will come into its own with people trying to get into my quarters/deployment zone. I'd still quite like to take Tempest's Wrath as I'm sure there are bound to be some Blood Angel Jump Pack armies and Andy said that there were a lot of Daemons at the last Open War.

Elites

Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

No Kill Point mission? Win. But Kill Points as secondary scoring so my opponent will have to keep this guy alive to score an extra point? Win. Which just leaves the question, "Why aren't we taking two?"

Troops

5 Grey Hunters, Plasma Gun, Rhino

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Guns

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Guns

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Guns

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Guns

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Guns

Maxed out troop choices. With all the missions being objective based it seemed like the best thing to do. I understand the reasoning behind the Las Plas turret being the best one and I think that in a truly competitive environment it probably would be. However, there are bound to be people bringing Footdar and horde Orks to this tournament. Also, since I can only shoot one weapon after moving and most of the time that will probably be the Lascannon, I'm think that a mix of Twin Linked Lascannons and Twin Linked Assalt Cannons would give me some nice duality.

Fast Attack

2 Land Speeders, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Quick, killy but very vulnerable, I could probably use some more.

Heavy Support

6 Long Fangs, 4 Rocket Launchers, Lascannon

6 Long Fangs, 4 Rocket Launchers, Lascaoon

I had been thinking about dropping the Lascannons and giving these guys a Razorback each but since there aren't any Dawn of War style deployments I don't really need to.

Predator, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

And then we round the list off with a bit more dakka.

Now, if you've been keeping up, you'll notice that that leave us on 1625 points. I've done this delibratly so that I can try out a few builds before the big event to see how they work together. With that in mind, I'm just going to very briefly go through some of my thought for those magical 125 points:

Drop three Meltaguns and take two more Land Speeders

Take some Wolf Scouts. Yes they're not truely optimal but with their ability to come on anywhere they could be a real boon in these three missions.

Dreadnought with Twin-Linked Autocannons

A second Lone Wolf plus a few more Grey Hunters

Razorbacks for the Long Fangs (one basic, one upgraded) just to give me even more Razorbacks

I don't think the last one is a goer but the other four all need some consideration.

So, all I've got to do now is find some bitz, finish modelling, paint the army and base it and then I'm ready. No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails