Tuesday 27 July 2010

Think Small, Act Big

After a win and a loss last week, it seems pretty obvious to me that I need to re-think my lists for the 750 point competion that the club is having. Now, my problem is that I'm taking my 1500-2000 point head into trying to build a much smaller list. I need to stop thinking about what works well at that level and start thinking about what would work well within the conifines of a 750 point limit.

So, first up, the Vindicator. Yes at higher points values it's not so hot since it can easily lose it's main gun to a turn of shooting. However, at 750 points there will be less units that can reliably hurt AV13. Since the rules of the competition will lead people to taking less vehicles, people will also be taking less anti-tank weaponry which should see the Vindi running riot. It also fills the need of duality since S10 can hurt vehicles and the large blast will do a lot of damage to hordes.

Secondly, the Assault Cannon. Yes the best load out for a Razorback is the Lascannon/Twin-Linked Plasma Gun Turret. But since there won't be any 2+ saves and they'll be very few vehicles I need something that can threaten light armour and infantry which is where the Assault Cannon comes in.

So, with those thoughts in mind, let's look at a list:

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

5 Grey Hunters, Plasma Gun, Rhino

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Twin Linked Assault Cannons

Dreadnought, Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod

Land Speeder Typhoon

Vindicator, Siege Shield

750 on the nose. The Dreadnought is a distraction/speed bump while I get the rest of the army into range to unleash hell. The Grey Hunters only get out of their vehicles in extreme circumstances. Okay, I'm a little bit worried about only having 10 scoring troops but if I can keep their transports in one piece it could be enough. I might struggle in a 5 objective game against an army that greatly outnumbers me but if that happens I'll just have to kill more stuff...

2 comments:

  1. Frankly this list looks disgusting and makes me feel very concerned for my brave fellows in green. It's template-tacular and will do well against mech, hordes and light armour. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To steal a football phrase it's a list that works between the lines ie it's optimum at 12-24" any closer and the Vindi could blow up my own men, any further and I'm out of range.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails