Monday 12 July 2010

I've seen the future man, it's murder

(with apologies to Leonard Cohen)

So, we're well into July now and Open War 14 in October is starting to cast its shadow. Since I've got loads of painting to do (and probably some modelling as well), I thought it's about time I settle on my final list and start planning what I need to put together and paint...

HQ

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

The main man, the head honcho, the guy I almost never leave home without.

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Tempest's Wrath

What's twice as good as a Rune Priest? Two Rune Priests! Normally this guy gets Jaws of the World Wolf but I figure over a tournament Tempest's Wrath will be more useful, especially with all of those pesky Blood Angels around. Now, at the minute I only have one Rune Priest. I'm debating whether to use the old Power Armoured Njal as the second one or whether to make on from scratch. Once I've decided on a suitable Runic Weapon, I'll probably go with the later.

Troops

5 Grey Hunters, Plasma Gun, Rhino

5 Grey Hunters, Plasma Gun, Rhino

The Priests go with these squads, driving along, merrily casting Living Lightning out of the top hatch. As a bonus, since the Tyranid FAQ, Shadow in the Warp will no longer effect the Rune Priests as long as they are safe in their Rhinos.

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Gun Turret

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Gun Turret

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Gun Turret

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback, Lascannon/Twin Linked Plasma Gun Turret

Is it spamming or is it redundancy? It's probably a bit of both but these 4 squads cost only 155 points each and are killy AND scoring (hmm, maybe Andy has a point about the codex being broken). The Lascannon/Plasma Gun turret is by far the best option since after a weapon destroyed result you've still got a gun. From a modelling point of view, I have a grand total of 0 Lascannon/Plasma Gun turrets. I also only have two guys with Meltaguns but that is less of an issue since I have loads lying around. The turrets are a bit more of a problem but GW still have the Land Raider Terminus Ultra conversion kit available and with a couple of Plasma Pistols from the Space Wolf sprue, I think I can come up with something.

Fast Attack

2 Land Speeders, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

I've found that I have more success with these when they're in a squadron so for now they are going together.

Heavy Support

6 Long Fangs, 4 Rocket Launchers, Lascannon

6 Long Fangs, 4 Rocket Launchers, Lascannon

More long range fire power, just what the doctor ordered. I'm two Rocket Launchers short for these guys as well so I need to start trawling the bitz sites this week.

Okay, so this is where the cop-out happens. I'm still 220 points short of the 1750 limit and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to fill it at the minute. I'd quite like Razorbacks for the Long Fangs to mitigate against Dawn of War missions and I'd quite like some Scouts and either a Lone Wolf or a Dreadnought. Do I really need 6 scoring units? Will I be that guy and fill my Elite slots with 3-man Wolf Guard squads in yet more Razorbacks? Probably not lol. And what about a couple of Land Speeder Typhoons?

From a To Do List point of view, the key next steps are to make a second Rune Priest, get a couple more Rocket Launchers and convert a couple of Razorback turrets. Then we'll see where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails