Saturday 18 December 2010

Draft Morning

As I alluded to late last night, I had to submit my army list yesterday for the Caledonian Uprising in January. Now, myself, Andy and Mick will be going bedecked in our C&F finery and hopefully they will post their lists in due time. Meanwhile here's mine;

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Saga of the Beat Slayer, Wolf Tail Talisman, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

5 Wolf Scouts, Mark of the Wulfen, Meltagun

5 Wolf Guard, 3 with Combi-Melta, Power Fist, 2 with Combi-Flamer, Power Weapon

8 Grey Hunters, Mark of the Wulfen, Meltagun, Rhino

8 Grey Hunters, Mark of the Wulfen, Meltagun, Rhino

5 Grey Hunters, Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Razorback

5 Grey Hunters, Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Razorback

Land Speeder, Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder, Multi-Melta, Heavey Flamer

6 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers, Lascannon, Razorback, Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers, Lascannon, Razorback, Twin-Linked Lascannon

So, it's an evolution of the list I put together here. It's quite a change from the list I took to my first two tournaments, which was more about the 5 man Grey Hunter squads in Razorbacks. I found that my problems were the 5 man squads were easily de-meched and weren't really potent enough to deal with assaults afterwards. Plus I failed a lot of Pinning tests at Leadership 8. Now, the plan is for every squad to get a Wolf Guard which makes their Leadership better and gives them Power Weapon/Fist attacks in combat. I've also gone with MotW in my squads. This is more for the possibility of lots of attacks rather than any Rending ones.

One quick point about the Rune Priests - I decided to give one a Saga and one the Wolf Tooth Necklace as in my previous list they were identical apart from their psychic powers. Since I had a spare 5 points, I also gave one a Wolf Tail Talisman. Now, I could have just given one of them a WTT or Melta Bombs and spent the other 20 points giving my two big Grey Hunter packs Wolf Standards. Now, I'm pretty realistic about my abilities as a 40K player and I'm under no illusion that I'm going to come anywhere near the top 20 at the tournament. However, like a true Son of Russ, I do like to have a good tale to tell around the fireplace. Basically, in my mind, one of my Rune Priests slaying some important enemy model is better than my Grey Hunters winning a round of combat. Plus, I normally roll a lots of 2s rather than 1s. In a similar vein, I would really liked to have squeezed my Lone Wolf in but I couldn't quite manage it.

So, there's my list. I've not been able to playtest it before submission but at least I'll get to playtest it before the tournament. Is it perfect? Of course not but it's good mix of points efficiency and fun. Over the next five weeks, I'll post up how the modelling/painting is going to finish the army and how well if gets on in playtests. Oh, and if you are one of the new readers we welcomed last night, you should know that I like to give my posts song titles. This one is by The Byrds from the album The Notorious Byrd Brothers. From now on, you'll have to guess them yourself...

4 comments:

  1. Cool list!
    What weapon do the GH razorbacks have? Where are you at the TL Lascannon VS Plas/Las debate? I guess if you are planning to move your razorbacks around too much the TL las would be the better option. Do you use them for objective contesting a lot? I think I would usually keep them back and try to block some fire lanes to the longfangs or keeping units from assaulting/deep striking near them. Also I love the potential the Las/plas back has that it could take 3 wounds off a MC. The single lascannon on the longfangs is essential? Could you trim some points off that and use somewhere else? Wow, that must be around 20 questions there, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have the standard Heavy Bolter layout. I think the Las/Plas is better on paper but I've never got it to work for me on the table. I think they'd probably work better in a BA list where they can move 6" and fire both weapons. I also found that I missed a lot with the single Lascannon so I like the Twin-Linkage.

    Conversely, I find the Lascannons in the Long Fangs really useful. It's not ideal against AV14 but it is better than Krak Missiles and it's good against any of those pesky 2+ saves. Plus with the ability to split fire, I can target 4 units with my two Long Fang packs and ensure that I have the right weapon for any eventuality. Well, that's the theory anyway..,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds reasonable :) Good luck with your games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At freebootaz we had a couple of lascannons for the fangs and found them really useful. Especially when we faced chaos with obliterators. Denying them a save that they'd get from missiles and causing instant death.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails