Monday 6 September 2010

They're coming out of the god damn walls!

Nids, Bugs, the swarm, the Great Devourer; what ever you call them I've been a fan since I first read the fluff about Genestealers in 1st Edition Space Hulk, it's probably got a lot to do with the tie-in with the Alien movies as well, which I also love. But whatever the case I've always wanted to run a Tyranid army, the only thing that puts me off is the typically high model count. I'm currently finishing off painting an Ork Horde and the thought of painting 90+ gaunts really turns me off.

However, I heard about a Lictor spam list played at Adepticon, I don't know the details of the list except that the guy playing it took 9 Lictors in the list, but let's just say it piqued my interest! Now at 1750pts it's tricky to build anything I would consider competitive given the points cost of 9 Lictors, plus the fact that I want to run 'stealers as well, who are not a cheap unit in their own right.

Anyway, I've drawn up the following list which covers all the bases I want out of a 'nid list, a strong flying component, Monstrous Creatures, Lictors and Genestealers. I know it's not optimal but is it completely awful or are the holes something which can be tactically compensated for ... up to a point:

HQ
Hive Tyrant
Lash Whip & Bonesword, Scything Talons, Wings, Hive Commander, Paroxysm, Leach Essence

ELITES
Lictors (2)

Lictors (2)

Lictors (2)

TROOPS
Genestealers
(10) Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs

Genestealers
(10) Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs

FAST ATTACK
Gargoyles
(15) Toxin Sacs

Tyranid Shrikes
(4) Lash Whip & Bonesword, Adrenal GLands

HEAVY SUPPORT
Trygon

Trygon

So what are we lacking here? Ranged anti-tank is certainly missing, this is very much a list which needs to be in hand-to-hand combat. I will try to ensure that the killy units make it by reserving everything to limit the shooting they are exposed to. The 'stealers will be outflanking, the Lictors pop up in cover which gives them a 3+ save thanks to stealth and hopefully close enough to a big target to make their strength 6 rending attacks count. Trygons deep strike as close as possible to ensure they get a good chance of making it into combat.

If I get first turn I may be tempted to deploy the flying elements, the Gargoyles screen the Shrikes who screen the Tyrant, they then leg it across the table as quickly as possible to try and cause some havoc. Otherwise it's reserve or deep strike depending on how confident I'm feeling.

The other thing which strikes me as being a serious risk about this list is that I have a significant number of points invested in T4 multi wound models. I will be doing my best to ensure that these models always have a cover save but they've got to be prime crack missile bait really and it'll depend on the list I'm facing as to whether or not my opponent can neutralise a significant amount of the punch in my army in a single round of shooting. Certainly multi-ML Long Fang Packs are a concern.

At 48 models total it seems pretty low on head count compared to your usual Tyranid list but it's supposed to be a more elite style army and it means that I'm not going to have quite such a task on the paining front so I guess it's not all bad. I guess I would ask the question do you think it's better to run the Lictors in 2 units of 3 or the 3 units of 2 listed above?

Other than that, let fly with the constructive criticism that the internet is renown for!

1 comment:

  1. There's something moving in here. And it ain't us!

    I'm worried that there are only two units of very easy to kill Troops. It could be a real problem in Objective Missions. Unless of course your plan is to table the enemy ;-)

    The lack of long range anti tank is also slightly concerning especially against fast armies like Eldar who could just play keep away and torrent you with lots of S6 shooting.

    Since this is a full reserve army, I'd be tempted to drop a unit of Lictors and try and squeeze in a suicide spore of Zoanthropes if possible just for some AT. Or maybe a Harpy to keep in with the flying theme.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails