Thursday 25 November 2010

Avast me' harties, I smell Brie!

With the Freebootaz Open only a few days away it's time to talk lists ... again! I posted a vulkan list a while back here and over the last month I've spent quite a bit of time playing around with it but now I look back at it again I still really like it.

The only thing I'm seriously considering changing is the Sternguard's Drop Pod for a Rhino, the problem with doing this is that the plan would be to combat squad out of the Pod to be able to hit two vehicles and still have flamers for later on. Without a pod I think combat squadding with this load-out will be less optimal so I'd drop 4 combi-weapons for 2 Lascannons so a squad could hang back with the Missile Launcher teams and add to the (limited) long range element of the list.

Actually I quite like this change, the extra Rhino will no doubt come in handy and thwarting a drop pod Alpha-Strike is a bit too easy these days, everyone's seen it. So that's tweak number one.

For my second tweak I realised that I do not have the mainstay of any serious Tournamnet army in this list - the frankly awesome Thunderfire Cannon. I know opinions are strongly divided on this one but so far it hasn't let me down in competitive play so I can't really leave it out. So in order to shoe-horn it in I dropped the Landspeeder Storm and made a few tweaks - badda bing badda boom, it's in.

Now we've got a list I think I'm actually happy with here's how it goes:

HQ
Vulkan He'Stan

ELITE
Assault Terminators
(5) Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields; Land Raider Redeemer w. Extra Armour and a Multi Melta
Sternguard Squad
(10) 3x Combi-Melta, 2x Lascannons; Rhino

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
(10) Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Sgt w. Combi-Melta; Rhino
Tactical Squad
(10) Flamer, Multi Melta, Sgt w. Power Fist; Rhino
Scouts
(5) 5x Combat Blades

FAST ATTACK
Land Speeder
Heavy Flamer, Multi Melta
Land Speeder
Heavy Flamer, Multi Melta

HEAVY SUPPORT
Thunderfire Cannon

I'm not going to go into tactics until after the tourney but there are four non-standard missions involving "head-hunting", area control, retrieving objectives and recovering a spy. Speaking of which I must remember to bring an additional model to represent my spy!

That's four missions in one day with an hour and fourty five minutes per round. I think that sounds a little tight but I'm a fast player so as long as my opponent isn't sat there 'ummm'ing and 'ahhhh'ing it should be do-able. Still means it's going to be a long day though ... long weekend for that matter as we're playing in a doubles tourney on the Sunday. Good times!

2 comments:

  1. Seems solid mate. Of course I don't like the TC but only in theory. You on the other hand have tested it and it works for you.
    I think changing the drop pod for the rhino is a good choice since deep striking that expensive unit can be risky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly think its a good choice getting the rhino instead

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails