Wednesday 17 November 2010

A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall

In case you haven't noticed there's a Storm coming. Now, I wasn't going to mention the Stromraven since we're not a rumour site but since Mick mentioned it, I might as well ignore my personal moratorium. Now, I'm a bit bored of the whole 'is it ugly?' debate. Instead, I'd rather talk about how to use it. As I said over on the Space Wolf Blog, I'm pretty sure it will be retconned so that every Chapter can take it. GW aren't stupid, the more £40 boxes they can sell, the happier the shareholders will be.

So, onto a list. It's been a while since we've had a 1500 point list so let's look at that total. The plan with this list is to have two "deathstar units" In my opinion one is too easy to take down so we need to try and create some target saturation.

Wolf Priest

10 Grey Hunters, Flamer, Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard

Wolf Guard, Power Fist

Stormraven, Extra Armour, Twin-Linked Multi Melta, Twin-Linked Lascannon

Dreadnought

This is my deathstar and the plan is to take two of these. Now, this is a unit that is going to hit really hard once it gets into combat, especially with the re-rolls from the Wolf Priest. The only problem is that it's 633 points. Hmm, could I use an Airfix model of a Mosquito instead of the Stormraven and claim that they are 633 Squadron? Anyway, that's 1266 points spent. I think that we probaly need a unit to sit on a home Obejective so let's go with a Lascannon Razorback. This also helps with de-meching units for our deathstars to attack.

5 Grey Hunters, Razorback, Twin-Linked Lascannon

Wolf Guard

That only leaves us with 66 points to spend so let's go with a Land Speeder with a Multimelta and stick Melta Bombs on one of the Wolf Priests.

So, the tactic for this is pretty straightforward. The 'ravens speed forward turn one and then try to de-mech the enemy from turn two onwards. The Razorback sits at the back shooting. Obviously, the bit problem here is having your two heavy hitting units inside two AV12 vehicles. Missile Launchers are going to have an absolute field day shooting you down and, since you're on a flying stand, it's going to be very hard to gain a cover save (this is why you need to go flat out in Turn 1) It leaves me thinking, would you be better off dropping the Wolf Guard and taking Land Raiders instead?

2 comments:

  1. Personally I hope they don't retcon it. THe whole point of having indivdual codices is to give a unique flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the Wolves really need it though. We already have better Heavy Support choices. Since their Devastators are over-costed, I think that Vanilla Marines will find it more useful. However, I think it will only work at higher points levels as you need a lot of target saturation to keep it safe as it's a bit flimsy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails