Monday 1 November 2010

What's on the painting table

What's this? Forgeworld resin on my painting table!? Not a week seems to go by when I don't get overcome by the impulse-buy daemons. I had just popped in to Warhammer World to get my hands on an Astorath mini for a list I've got my mind on for the Freebootaz Open. However they didn't have one on the racks so in the time it took for me to walk from the Space Marine section to the check-out I had formulated a Vulkan list instead and decided that the new Huron model would make a great counts-as Vulkan. As fate would have it they had some in stock so I took it as a sign and got one!

On closer inspection is is a fantastically beautiful model, the detail is amazing, posing is spot on and I even love the slab of rock he's standing on. The model was very clean, just a few bits of flash to clean off and it was very easy to put together. The only thing I don't really like about the model is the head. To be fair it's very nicely detailed and proportioned but I just don't like marines without helmets as a rule. Anyway, I thought this might be a bit of an opportunity to convert an existing terminator helmet into a more "Grey Knight" style one to make my new character stand out from my army. So I've cut the sides off the "cheeks" of the helmet and taken a bit of time to square it all off, I've had to trim it a little at the sides to allow the head to face correctly. I then drilled a few holes in the side to add a bit of interest. What do you think? Also I really don't know what colour scheme to do, the army is yellow with black and red trim but I think this guy needs something special - suggestions on a post card please!

In case you're interested here's the list I'm thinking about:

Vulkan He'stan
Terminator Assault Squad
(5) Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield; Land Raider Redeemer w. Multi Melta and Extra Armour
Sternguard Squad
(10) 4x Combi-Flamer, 4x Combi-Melta, Sgt w. Power Fist; Drop Pod
Tactical Squad
(10) Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Sgt w. Combi-Melta; Rhino
Tactical Squad
(10) Flamer, Missile Launcher, Sgt w. Combi-Flamer Melta Bombs & Power Fist; Rhino
Scout Squad
(5) Bolt Pistol & Combat Blades, Sgt w. Melta Bombs
Land Speeder Tornado
Multi Melta, Heavy Flamer
Land Speeder Tornado
Multi Melta, Heavy Flamer
Land Speeder Storm
Heavy Flamer

1750pts

On with the painting updates:



Also on my table at the moment are my Honour Guard which seem to have sat at this stage for a couple of weeks now. I just don't seem to have the time to get stuck into painting the details onto these really great figures. I like how the brass/dark gold looks as a base colour but I do want to do some more highlighting and then move on to the details. Also, below is a pic of my Jump Pack Librarian, still very much WIP and though the wings do look messy at the moment a good dose of Badab black ought to sort the shading out. The face needs another layer or two fo highlights but I like how it looks at the moment, it could probably benefit from another light wash of Badab Black before the next highlights just to tidy up any over-brushing.



More updates to come!

10 comments:

  1. The helmet looks really nice! If you had not told me what you did to make that, I would have thought it was an actual grey Knight helmet. Very nice.

    Color wise, why don't you use the same colors, just reverse the scheme? That way he is thematically tied to the rest of your army, but no one who sees him has any doubt who is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vulkan? Mwahahaha! Welcome, to the dark side!!

    That is a seriously pretty model though and I love what you've done with the helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Counterfett, I saw a tut on the helmet a while ago and it's not too hard to do, though it would be easy to over-do the cutting and get a very narrow jaw-line.

    With regards to the colour scheme, the armour is very ornate, it looks like it needs a metallic flavour to it. I'm tempted to do a gold scheme which would fit (or possibly clash) with the yellow of the rest of the army. But I'm concerned it'll look a bit ostentatious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice model mate, I'm going a little more all out with my Huron model, taking a far more aggressive approach to the conversion.

    Like the look of t he Honor Guard as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very much like the look of that list! Will chew vehicles apart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey JP, thanks for the comment. Good luck with your conversion!

    My green stuff skills aren't up to much and I don't feel comfortable going much further than a head swap. However I would love to add a cloak so I'm going to give that a couple of goes before I primer the model to see if I can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy do you want to play test that list any time soon? Could do a sunday game at Warhammer world?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The model is sweet indeed and the conversion is simple yet effective. Good luck painting the guy, seems there is tons of detail on him...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Play testing the list would be great but the next couple of weekends are going to be tricky. We can have a chat about it on Thursday if that suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't think I will be about on Thursday because of the 1k challenge I thought I might head to Maelstrom. Can pretty much do any day though, let me know if you are free

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails