Tuesday 23 November 2010

Garro: Oath of moment - A review

I brought this at Games Day this year. Meeting James Swallow and having a good chat with him was one of the highlights of a pretty disappointing day but if I am honest I forgot about the CD. I'm just not that big a fan of the idea of audio books. Like many men I do the majority of my reading in the bathroom either sat on the throne or in the bath (too much information?) and an audio book isn't really suitable for it. However as I told Mr. Swallow at Games Day Flight of the Eisenstein was (at that point as I have since read First Heretic) my favourite of the Horus Heresy series.

Garro to me was a character of inner turmoil who was basically a good man trying to deal with a bad situation the best way he can. So I brought the CD and finally decided to listen to it and I have to say I was pleased with it. The story starts on Calth with the Word Bearer betrayal of the Ultramarines. Our hero arrives by Stormbird to find an Ultramarine company on orders of Malacador and inadvertently saves and Imperial Army squad who aids Nathanial in his task. It is my belief and my belief only that this is in preparation of the formation of the Inquisition.

Whats good about it then? It moves at a fast pace and the action is immediate. As I said in my review of First Heretic what I want from the Horus Heresy is to get a piece of information to fill in the middle part. We all know how the heresy began, we all know how it will end. We don't however know the small details. Garro certainly gives us this. The main criticism I have of the story is that it isn't very long. Just about an hour is a disapointment, it seems as the story ends its really just beginning and for a cost of £8.50 (download) that seems quite costly.

I don't want to tell you the story but I would suggest that if like me you have always been a little 'meh' about buying audio books then this might be the story to change your mind.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I'm not a huge fan of audio books but I'm quite tempted by this and the other Horus Heresy audio book, The Lightning Tower. I'd still prefer it if GW would stick them all in an anthology though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails