Sunday 28 November 2010

Time is on my side

Just played a game against two really good players (one finished second in the singles yesterday) but they were soooooo slooooow. The TO called last turn at the middle of Turn 4 at which point we were set up to win 2-1. They begged us to let them speed play Turn 5 and they beat us 3-0.

To be fair, they outplayed us and deserved to win. I think they'll be up on the top tables at the end. Hopefully with Swiss Pairing we might get an opponent nearer to our level. We're not holding out too much hope as it was random pairings for the first three games yesterday.

Ah well, my dice were a bit better today and I killed Eldrad in combat :-D BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

4 comments:

  1. I feel like having a short rant about this one. These guys were clearly there to win but after an hour we were at the top of turn two because they were debating every single decision they were making. It's the only time in a game of 40k that i've actually spoken up and asked an opponent to please speed up. So when the TO gave us the 10 minute warning to finish up the current turn we were on I think we would have been very justified in denying them the chance to play a further turn, although I would have felt like a bit of a dick, simply because it waas their own lack of time management that had put them in that position.

    I wonder if they would have been so accommodating if the roles were reveresed, particularly as it was obvious that with one more turn they could easily win. I even said that when they asked to play an additional turn "you do realise that you are asking us to conceed here?". Their arguement would probably have been thay they had clearly got us beaten but frankly it's a game and we'd played to the objectives and managed our time. So how do you decide who actually played a better game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you are saying there. When they announced 10 minutes until last turn, who's turn was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the end of their turn 4. So we had to rush our turn 4 and they rushed through their turn 5 just so they could win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay to be honest I've done the same thing BUT it was my opponent who was slowing the game down so I had to insist on playing a quick 5th turn in order to finish the game properly.

    Now doing it the other way around like your opponents did is a bit odd. If someone messes up with your tempo it can really affect your game and this gives him an unfair advantage. On the other hand, if there was no way you could avoid defeat in turn five and it turned out you had enough time to play a quick fifth turn then you should have let it be like you did. Still I wouldn't be happy about it if it happened to me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails