Tuesday 14 September 2010

Dorn's Lament and the return of the Blood Angels

I have something of a love/hate relationship with the Blood Angels, I love the codex and the fluff but I just can't seem to get to grips with them on the table. You may remember that I did not have such a great result playing them in the Warp Storm tournament earlier this year, and whenever I bring them to our Thursday night gaming sessions I usually get blown off the table, even more so than with my Marines!

So you may think it somewhat self-destructive of me to be pursuing another tournament list based on the Blood Angels but that's exactly what I'm doing! It's partly down to the fact that this weekend Gav and I tried out our doubles list, my half of which includes Mephiston - who is a total beast. However that can't be all there is to it, particularly as  Mephiston is not in my 1750pt list (at the moment) - unfortunately I cannot come up with something I feel comfortable with that includes him.

Instead, what I am inspired by at the moment is the Sanguinary Guard models and, last weekend my plan was to use them to model an Honour Guard Squad. Just two days later and with a little help from some left-over bits from the Death Company box, we have the models below including a Jump Pack equipped Librarian.




Chief Librarian Clachas


Brother Promethius


Brother Aether


Brother Xiphos


Brother Argus


Apothocary Chiron

Why then; Dorn's Lament? Well, this comes from my need to be able to play both Vanilla Marines and Blood Angels (and possibly Black Templars in the future!) without having to paint two different armies, so I've been thinking about a common iconography to tie the paint scheme into both flavors of Marine. I think with a Chapter name like "Dorn's Lament" I can use a tear drop as the chapter symbol for my Imperial Fists successor Chapter which looks remarkably similar to a blood drop which will obviously work for my Blood Angels successor Chapter. It's a bit O.C.D. of my but things like this are important to the armies I play ... next up will be to write some fluff for Dorn's Lament and come up with a good name for the BA Chapter. Watch this space.

2 comments:

  1. Nice way to fluff up your models and give them personality. If you are looking for a Greek name but can't find exactly what you need just give me a shout. I think I could be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus you can use the fact that they're from the Dorn's Lament chapter as an excuse for always forgetting to roll for Red Thirst!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails