Tuesday 23 August 2011

Vanilla Marines better than Blood Angels!

I've come up with a list using good old Codex: Space Marines that I like more than anything I can seem to come up with in Codex: Blood Angels. Have a look and tell me what you think:

HQ
Librarian
Null Zone, Gate of Infinity

ELITE
Dreadnought
2x Twin Linked Autocannons
Dreadnought
2x Twin Linked Autocannons
Assault Terminators
(5) 5x Thunderhammer & Stormshield; Landraider Redeemer

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
(10) Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Sgt w. Combi-Melta; Razorback w. Lascannon & TL Plasmagun
Tactical Squad
(10) Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Sgt w. Combi-Melta; Razorback w. Lascannon & TL Plasmagun
Scout Squad
(5) Camo Cloaks, Missile Launcher

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator
Autocannon w. Lascannon Sponsons
Predator
Autocannon w. Lascannon Sponsons
Thunderfire Cannon

So, it's a shooty list with an Assault Terminator counter-punch. The Termies could be gated around to free up the Land Raider to hold Troops in objective games. Scouts are typically held back to bunker down in bolstered ruins or can be held in reserve/outflank to capture objectives late in the game.

The majority of the anti-armour firepower comes from the Preds and Dreads but the Razorbacks will chip in too in the early game before they have to move to deliver their melta-totting contents. I am tempted to find the extra 10 points to take a God-Hammer pattern Land Raider instead of the Redeemer to provide even more anti-armour firepower, but I think the Redeemer is more appropriate as a delivery mechanism for the Assault Terminators.

The Thunderfire Cannon and the Redeemer's Flamestorms will be heavily relied upon to thin out any hordes as I don't have a great answer to those sort of armies here. Obviously the Tac Squads will typically combat squad to lend their Missile Launchers to the long-range firepower and allow their Melta's to roam as required.

With regards to it being better than an equivalent Blood Angels list, take that with a pinch of salt. None of these tanks are fast so it'll be easier for my opponent to out-maneuver me than if I was using a similar list with BA. However I like the fact that I can get Preds and Dreads in the same list. Admittedly there's no feel-no-pain or furious charge but my terminators are more resilient in combat as I'm not tempted to take any Lightning Claws. Also if I decided to go back to a God-Hammer Land Raider I could still fit the Libby in with the Terminators.

Speaking of the Librarian, sure the Blood Angels powers are good but I don't think they can beat the general utility you get out of Null Zone and Gate of Infinity, I love those powers. Finally and most importantly, you can't get a Thunderfire Cannon in Codex: Blood Angels and that's a big one for me, my TFC has rarely had a bad game for me and I'm always loathed to leave home without it!

That's it, what's the verdict!

3 comments:

  1. Nearly ready to have a go with my grey knights so you fancy trailing that out not this thursday but next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could do mate, got half a day holiday going spare if you want to make it an early one? How was Vegas!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, yeah that sounds good. Will text you with the details.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails