Wednesday 12 May 2010

In the Court of the Wolf King

No game this week due to the darts(!) but I thought I'd post up a list anyway. After seeing a Logan list win Warp Storm 2 the other week I've decided it's time for the Wolf Wing. I'm going to go with a purely Terminator Wolf Guard army even though this will probably be sub-par. I think that good Logan lists will have a mix of Terminator Armour and Power Armour with some Long Fangs to make the most of Logan's special rules. However, I really love the new Wolf Guard Terminator box set and this will give me an excuse to buy another one.

Logan Grimnar

The top dog (or wolf), some nice wargear and some good special rules but very pricey. Can't do Wolf Wing without him though.

10 Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers

Logan goes here and gives them the Tank Hunters special rule (4 Krak Missiles per turn) as they march across the battlefield and then gives Preferred Enemy as they charge into combat.

5 Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, Assault Cannon, Drop Pod

The first wave. They've got enough shooting to take out most infantry squads or with a sensible drop they should get side or rear armour for the Assault Cannon. They're not impossible to kill but they are tough with 2+/5++ saves and there aren't many units in the game that would want to charge this squad. Hopefully they'll provide a killy distraction while Logan and his boys get into position.

5 Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, Heavy Flamer, Land Raider

The 2nd wave. The Land Raider provides some more anti-tank while getting the boys inside where they need to be. Hopefully this will attract a lot of heavy weapon fire keeping Logan safe.

Hmm, so that leaves 185 points left to spend. Extra Armour and a Multimelta on the Land Raider are no brainers. I could change the Land Raider to a Crusader and then get 3 more Wolf Guard but I feel I really need those Lascannons. So, 50 more points gets us a couple of Power Fists in Logan's squad and a Chainfist in each of the other squads. 25 Points gets a twin Wolf Claw model in the Land Raider and a single Wolf Claw guy in each of the other squads. 85 Points left. I've spoken before about the option for 85 points but I don't think any of those fit in with the theme of the army (yes, despite all of the MSU WAAC lists I normally run, I'm a fluffy gamer at heart). Let's drop one of the regular troops from the Land Raider squad and replace him with a Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator Armour with a Frost Blade and there we are: 1497 points. So, the list in full:

Logan Grimnar

Wolf Guard Battle Leader, Terminator Armour, Frost Blade, Melta Bombs

10 Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers, 2 Power Fists, Wolf Claw

5 Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, Assault Cannon, Chainfist, Wolf Claw, Drop Pod

4 Wolf Guard, Chainfist, Twin Wolf Claws, Land Raider, Extra Armour, Multimelta

I also had to drop the Heavy Flamer because the squad dropped below 5 models. I'd also like to note the lack of Combi weapons; this is due to my lack of modelling expertise rather than a tactical decision.

All in all, I think this would be a fun list to play but with only 21 troops each guy who dies is really going to cost you. It's also a hybrid list which I'm a bit uncomfortable about. I think that Logan might only work at 2000 points and above but I'd still like to give this list a go. With a bit of luck it should do alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails