Friday 1 October 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Open War is three weeks today. I'm happy with my list but I've been playing some more Theoryhammer and started thinking about what if I took a load of Melta-bunkers instead of Razorbacks...

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Tempest's Wrath

5 Grey Hunters, Plasma Gun, Rhino

Yes, these guys stay in.

Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Wolf Claw, 5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Rhino

Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Wolf Claw, 5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Rhino

Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Wolf Claw, 5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Rhino

Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Wolf Claw, 5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Rhino

Two Melta shots in one turn and a significant midfield presence.

Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Wolf Claw, 5 Wolf Scouts, Meltagun

The usual BEL squad get a bit of a boost.

Lone Wolf, Termiantor Armour, Chain Fist, Storm Shield

The Lone Wolf loses his Thunder Hammer for the more t'internet friendly Chain Fist

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder, Mulitmelta, Heavy Flamer

Wolf Guard, 6 Long Fangs, 4 Rocket Launchers, Lascannon

Wolf Guard, 6 Long Fangs, 4 Rocket Launchers, Lascannon

These guys also make it from the other list but the Long Fangs gain an ablative wound.

So, this is where I'd like to get in a couple of Thunderwolves (probably a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and a regular T-Wolf) but I want to put a list together here that I could actually use at Open War.

Wolf Guard, Combi-Flamer, Wolf Claw, 5 Grey Hunters, Flamer, Rhino

So here's a bit more anti-infantry. Hmm, that leaves me with just 66 points left. Couple of options here - 4 more guys somewhere in the list (probably in the Melta-bunkers), 8 Fenrisian Wolves or the option I've gone for: drop one of the Melta-bunker Wolf Claws down to a Power Weapon and then take

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

I dropped the Vindicator from the list as this is really more of a midfield list so I don't feel like I need the area denial so much. Is it better than my other list? Hard to say without playtesting it but it is very different in playstyle.

2 comments:

  1. Ok so you are basically sacrifizing some long range fire power to get more mobility. In my mind SW are more suited being stuck in the midfield so I think this approach might suit them better.

    Not really sure about the extra wolf guard in the Long Fang units though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the best thing about the Wolves is that you can make a really good long range shooting list, a midfield kind of list like this or an in your face assault list.

    The Wolf Guard with the Long Fangs keeps the Pack Leader and the Heavy Weapon guys alive that little bit longer and has 4 attacks on the Counter Attack if the Fangs get assaulted.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails