Friday 29 October 2010

Four Horsemen

After the only argument of the day at lunch (what do you mean, stuffing OR Yorkshire pudding?!) I made my way to table 17 for my second game. Mark was already there and I could see that he had two Land Raiders on his tray. I expressed my dismay at this turn of events only for him to point out that he didn't have two Raiders. He had four. Speaking with Mark, it was apparent that he was a very good tournament player but this was one of his "fun" lists rather than a competitive one. Now, since I'd had trouble taking out one Raider in mine and Andy's practice games I was failing to see the fun in the list before the game.







Marks' list:

Chaplain, Terminator Armour

5 Assault Terminators, 4 with Thunder Hammer Storm Shield

Land Raider Redeemer

10 Tactical Marines, Plasma Cannon, Flamer

10 Tactical Marines, Plasma Cannon. Flamer

Razorback

Razorback

Land Raider

Land Raider

Land Raider Crusader, Multimelta

Now, the big mistake Mark made was borrowing my dice (I warned him that they were cursed!) Again, I won the roll off and decided to go first. My thinking was that I'd need as much shooting at those Raiders as possible if I was to stop them before they reached the Objectives and them my lines. I did a really good job of blocking with my Land Speeders and Dreadnought which kept the Land Raiders out of my face. In the end I wrecked one Raider and immobilised another one. Only one made it into my lines and that was right near the end of the battle where the Chaplain and his Termies charged into one of my Long Fang packs (that didn't end well for the Fangs) As the dust cleared I held two Objectives while Mark held one. Kill Points were equal and there were only two Victory Points in it so another really close game. Is there anything I could have done differently? Hmm, it's always a big ask to take out 4 Raiders but I probably should have infiltrated my Scouts rather than having them Behind Enemy Lines. As it was they came on turn two and hid in some terrain ready to make a counter attack around the two Objectives I claimed. However, in the end they popped out for one turn, killed a Combat Squad of Tactical Marines and then nipped back into cover. If I'd infiltrated them I could have left them closer to Mark's board edge with the possibility of a close range Melta shot. Yes, they'd have been a suicide unit but they would have been another blocking unit.

Onto Unit of the match - I'm tempted to go for my Dreadnought who lost both arms and became immobilised. However he was in base to base contact with an immobilised Land Raider and continued to attack it Black Knight style (I'll bite your legs off!) However, I think it has to go to my Rune Priest who managed to destroy both Razorbacks forcing the crucial scoring units out into the open and preventing a last minute Objective contest.

6 comments:

  1. Hehe few more meltas would be really helpful here, eh? Well sounds like a good game and you did pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure it would have helped since I almost always miss with Meltaguns. My penetrate rolls are even worse though - I once failed to glance a Rhino from 4 inches away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, those space pups must have been drunk with ale or something. That's why I'd like to include Vulkan in my team :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary! I use the same IKEA blue plastic trays for my miniatures. What're the odds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I'll have to stop my Grey Hunters drinking before battle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were given out by the organisers. I think they must have got a job lot lol

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails