Sunday 3 October 2010

Strawberry Letter 23

Wow, it's finally happened - someone has asked for help with a list! I assume that this is because the rest of the internet was busy but even Kirby ans Stelek had to start somewhere. Anyway, we received the following e-mail from The Antipope, who has recently picked up a free Vulkan from GW:

Hey there guys!I've been thinking for a while about making a Space Marines army but I don't know much about them so I would need help with the list. I already got Vulkan, a Land Raider and the Terminators from Space Hulk (I haven't played a single game yet). So I definitely would like to use them together.Also I want to keep the army a bit small so I was considering using bikes as troops. And then a few Land Speeders and Dakka Predators to finish the list. How does the premise sound like? Please give me some advice and suggestions so I know where to start!

Firstly, I'd like to thank The Antipope for his regular blog comments. Secondly, I'd like to say, play some Space Hulk, it's awesome! Now, my plan here is to put together 2 lists; a really competitive 'best of' Vulkan list and then one that features all of units in the request. There should be a bit of crossover. Then, hopefully, Andy will edit this post with his ideas for a list. Now, I'd like to add a quick caveat at this point - I've never actually played with or against a Vulkan list so this is a combination of Theoryhammer and ideas picked up from the web.



Oh, and The Antipope sent us a second e-mail asking for the list to be at 1750 points.



List 1 - Fire & Brimstone


This list is really going to try and make the most out of Vulkan's special abilities so lots of Thunder Hammers, Melta and Flamer weapons.

HQ

Vulkan

Elites

5 Thunder Hammer Storm Shield Terminators
Land Raider Redeemer, Extra Armour, Multmelta

5 Sternguard, 3 Combi-Meltas, 2 Heavy Flamers, Rhino

Troops

10 Tactical Marines, Combi-Flamer, Multimelta, Meltagun, Rhino

10 Tactical Marines, Combi-Flamer, Multimelta, Meltagun, Rhino

10 Tactical Marines, Combi-Flamer, Multimelta, Meltagun, Rhino

Fast Attack

2 Multimelta Attack Bikes

Landspeeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Landspeeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

The plan is for Vulkan to go off with the Termies while the three Rhinos head for midfield and set up some Melta-bunkers. They have Combi-Flamers for a bit of duality. The Attack Bikes and Speeders head off in front of the Radier, popping transports so those Flamestorm Cannons can roast what is inside. If I was making a competitive Vulkan list this is the direction I think I'd take it. However, it has very little of the stuff that was actually asked for so let's try again:

List 2 - The Anti-Swiss Guard

HQ

Vulkan

Space Marine Captain, Bike, Power Weapon
Command Squad, Bikes, 4 Meltaguns, Power Fist

Elites

5 Terminators, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist
Land Raider


Troops
8 Bikers, Combi-Melta, 2 Meltaguns, Multimelta Attack Bike

5 Bikers, Combi-Flamer, 2 Flamers

Fast Attack

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support

Predator, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

So the first list was a real hammer list. This one has a smaller hammer in the Command Squad but it also has an anvil in the Terminators. I'd start them in the Raider with Vulkan and use them as a counter attack unit. This list also has a bit more long range punch than the first with the Lascannons and Autocannon and putting Melta on bikes increases its effective range. The only real problem here is that you have at most 3 scoring units. Well, those are my thoughts, let's see what Andy thinks:

Actually, I did have an alternate list but I would go with Gav's List 1 with one small change. Given that you have the Space Hulk Terminators I would swap out a Tactical Squad for a 5-man Terminator squad with an Assault Cannon and drop the Multi-Melta from the Land Raider to make up the points. Other than that, I like it!

Hopefully, one of these is close to what you had in mind...

9 comments:

  1. Oops, the Sternguard in the first list should have Combi-Meltas not Combi-Flamers. The hands are working faster than the brain again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I would like to thank you guys putting time and effort to create this two lists for me.
    I was kinda worried when I saw the title of the post but when I looked it up on the net I realised that it's just a song title :P
    My thoughts about the lists:
    Anti-Swiss Guard : I like the fact that it's small but I think its a bit thin on the troop side. Can bikers split up like tactical squads? If not then I wouldn't be too comfortable with only 2 scoring units.

    Fire & Brimstone : I do like this list a lot. Seems like there is a lot of tactical flexibility to it. I could split up the tacts and keep the MM guy holding the objective while sending the other hald midfield for some BBQ. Are attack bikes small enough to hide behind the LR?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe I see. Also do the Flamestorm cannons become TL due to Vulkan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Quentin Tarantino used a cover of it in one of his films.

    Anyway, onto your questions. Yes, you can Combat Squad bikes so the second list could have three scoring units. With regard to the Attack Bikes you'll definitely get one behind the LR so the unit will get a cover save and if you have one behind the other you might be able to completely block LOS depending on your opponent's deployment. Oh, and no, unfortunately Vulkan doesn't make the Flamestorm twin-linked. Sad panda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll stick with the 1st list but I am not sure since I like bikers. I will built this army in reverse. I will slowly buy one unit/vehicle every month and paint it and when it's ready I'll start playing. So first purchase should be the Land Speeders since they seem almost mandatory in a SM list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Land Speeders are a contentious issue because they are so fragile. I love them and plenty of people out there do as well but I know people who won't consider them and like to run Attack bikes maxed out in their Fast Attack slots.

    If you want to do a Bike list then I'd recommend ditching Vulkan because you need to be points efficient. The Captain and Command Squad on bikes are a serious hammer unit and Bike troops are fast, tough scoring units. Gav's 2nd list hits all the core points but having to cater for Vulkan is hamstringing his min-max sensibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Andy, a Marine list should probably be Vulkan OR Bikes. Although you could probably make the joint list work at 2000 points where you can get more Troops in.

    As for Land Speeders, they are a finese unit. They are very killy but I've found that you really need to get used to using them so that you can get the best out of them. I've found that keeping them in Reserve can keep them alive longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay doke thanks guys. So I will stick to list 1 at the moment and start expanding to more points slowly. Maybe both bikes and Vulkan can be workable at higher point games so we will see. I think I can get 20 tactical marines (exchange with some of my old Tau).

    On another note. You think dual Land Raiders could work for Space Marines?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think BA might be able to pull it off - FNP Thunder Hammer Terminators in one and Furious Charge Assault Squad in the second. The key is making sure you have the right support elements in the rest of the list. However, come November I think we'll be seeing a lot of Dark Lances across the board so dual Raider might not be quite so viable.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails