Thursday 28 October 2010

The Number of the Beast

Before the tournament I said that I was worried about playing an army I'd never seen before such as Daemons. So, what did I get first game? Yep, Daemons. Fortunately Chris was a great guy and he patiently took the time to explain what everything was in the army. I think that's what I was really worried about - playing a WAAC gamer who would just see me as a noob and try and table me. So, again, thanks go to Chris.

So, his army consisted of
4 Tzeentch Heralds
2 x 6 Slaanesh Fiends
5 x Bloodcrushers
4 x 5 Plaguebearers
2 x Soulgrinders
1 Daemon Prince
I have to say this was an absolutely brilliant game. The Objectives were table quarters and only Troops scored. In the end it went down my Land Speeder shooting at the last three Plaguebearers that were in one of Chris' quarters. The Heavy Flamer hit all three and the Multimelta hit. I caused three wounds so one on each. Chris failed all three invulnerable saves. Two left, two Feel No Pain rolls. One failed but one made and so it finished 1-0 on Objectives. Chris absolutely battered me on Kill Points though.
So, where did it all go wrong? Well, my deployment was pretty stupid. I won the roll to go first and deployed pretty centrally. There was a hill to the left, just outside my deployment zone. I could have stuck my Long Fangs near that and ran up it in turn 1 to get a better view of the battlefield. I also set up my Razorbacks behind my Long Fangs. At the time I thought it would be a brilliant way to shoot my Lascannons over the top of my Fangs but of course it meant that I couldn't move my Razorbacks. My target selection was also poor. I became pretty downhearted at how difficult the Daemons were to kill with their multiple wounds, invulnerable saves and Eternal Warrior. Had I deployed in the corner I could have sat there and used my range to keep those nasty Daemons away. My dice really didn't help either as I failed four Leadership tests including one on my Rune Priest which saw him and the rest of his squad run off the board.
So, unit of the match? Without a doubt it was the Wolf Scouts. They managed to kill 10 Plaguebearers and hence almost nicked me a draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails